Sunday, September 8, 2013

Quick Review: Love and Other Perishable Items

Love and Other Perishable Items
Laura Buzo

'Miss Amelia Hayes, welcome to The Land of Dreams. I am the staff trainer. I will call you grasshopper and you will call me sensei and I will give you the good oil. Right? And just so you know, I'm open to all kinds of bribery.'

From the moment 15-year-old Amelia begins work on the checkout at Woolworths she is sunk, gone, lost...head-over-heels in love with Chris. Chris is the funny, charming, man-about-Woolies, but he's 21, and the 6-year difference in their ages may as well be 100. Chris and Amelia talk about everything from Second Wave Feminism to Great Expectations and Alien but will he ever look at her in the way she wants him to? And if he does, will it be everything she hopes?




Rating: 2.5/5

Note to self: Stop getting sucked in by books with cute covers and catchy titles.

If I said I hated this book I would be lying. I did like parts of it. The dual narrative was good, and there were some cute plot points, but in a whole I didn't love it. I skimmed a ton because the story seemed to drag on. But the ending! GAHHHH! One thing I despise the most are incomplete endings. I can let it go when there is another book in the series, but this is a standalone. The ending wrapped nothing up for me and it kind of messed up the rest of the story.

4 comments:

  1. Damn that sucks. I'm really looking forward to this one as I am a checkout chick hahaha. Maybe I will lower my expectations... Thanks for the warning about the end too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deceiving covers are the worst!!! And this seemed so adorable! I'm sorry that it didn't live up to your expectations! (◠︿◠✿) I hope your next read is much more enjoyable, Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooo it's the worst when you read a book to the end hoping it will get better but never does! Sorry to hear it didn't pan out.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not to self is so so true! I do the same things. this is my first time hearing of this but I think I'll pass on it. Thanks for the honest opinion!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.