Friday, January 18, 2013

Review: Wicked Business

Wicked Business
Janet Evanovich
Lizzy & Diesel #2

When Harvard University English professor and dyed-in-the-wool romantic Gilbert Reedy is mysteriously murdered and thrown off his fourth-floor balcony, Lizzy and Diesel take up his twenty-year quest for the Luxuria Stone, an ancient relic believed by some to be infused with the power of lust. Following clues contained in a cryptic nineteenth-century book of sonnets, Lizzy and Diesel tear through Boston catacombs, government buildings, and multimillion-dollar residences, leaving a trail of robbed graves, public disturbances, and spontaneous seduction.
(Summary from Goodreads)

Rating: 2/5

What I Liked:
~ I'm not really sure... I honestly didn't really like this book but I kept reading. I guess I was interested in the plot but I forgot how mindless the first book was. Granted, this book had a few funny moments but that was about it.

What I Didn't Like:
~ The goal of the characters in this book was to find a "magic lust stone", but honestly they didn't need it. They are forbidden to 'do the deed' or one of them will lose their magical powers, so there is a little bit of tension but it just seemed so forced by the author. Like, she didn't explain why she just said it was there so you had to go along with it. It seems like a lust filled tension and the guy, Diesel, is always described by the main character as attractive, but the author did nothing to convince me he was that great. 
~Now for the actual plot. It seems like a good idea, being on the hunt for seven stones that correspond with the seven deadly sins, but it was just so poorly executed. There are random brake-ins to Lizzy's house and she doesn't seem that concerned. Also, Lizzy and Diesel go around robbing places and it is all just so impractical. Okay, yes, I understand that this is a book about magic stones and magical powers, but many others have wrote about similar things and made it so convincing that you wonder if this actually could be happening. But with this book there is just no way. There are random break-ins, kidnappings, deaths, threats, and explosions, but the characters only seem mildly concerned. 

Cover: 
~It seriously annoys me when authors have their name as big as or bigger than the actual title of the books. I noticed this is usually only done with authors that are famous. Now, this cover has the authors name not only as big as the title, but before it! I mean really?? One of my friends thought that the author's name was part of the title and I can't blame her I would have thought the same thing.

In All:
~This is a light, quick, nothing read, as with the first book "Wicked Appetite". If you don't have much else to do then maybe you could pick this one up. Unless you loved the first book, I would stop there.

Have you read this book? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.