Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Leviathan

Leviathan
Scott Westerfeld
(Summary from Goodreads.com)

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.



Rating: 2/5

What I Loved:
~This book takes place around the start of World War 1.(It is a historical fiction book) The author does a very good job of tying in events that really happened, for example the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, into the story-line.
~ The illustrations were beautifully done, especially on the front and inside cover. 

What I Didn't Love:
~ There are a ton of descriptions of machinery and fabricated beasts that were hard to picture. (Even with the illustrations)
~Since it was hard to picture the machines and animals, it was even harder to picture the battles they had.
~ The author had some original vocabulary in this book that was quite confusing and often not very well explained.
~ The main characters in this book are 15-16 years old, but the way the author portrayed them and their thoughts and feeling made me think that they were 12.

So I personally didn't like this book very much, but like always this is  my opinion. There are many people who love this book including my friend, who lent this book to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.