Monday, August 12, 2013

Review: Hourglass

Hourglass
Hourglass #1
Myra McEntire

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?


Rating: 4/5

Quotes:
“Your size makes you seem delicate, like a spiderweb. But the wise fly knows that delicate can also be strong.”

“Most of what I say is complete truth. My edit button is broken.”

“Hey, bro, do you think you can put Shorty back on her chain?"
I stepped forward with my hands on my hips, only slightly intimidated to find Kaleb almost eye level with me when he was seated and I was standing.
"First of all, no one is the boss of me but me. Secondly, if you ever reference my 'chain' again, I will kick your ass." I jabbed him hard in the chest with my finger. Possibly breaking it. "And thirdly, don't call me Shorty."
Kaleb sat silently for a second, his eyes wide as he looked at Michael. "Where did you get her? Can you get me one?"
I blew out a loud, frustrated sigh and dropped down beside Michael, who didn't even try to hide his smile. "You should probably apologize to Emerson."
"I am sorry." Kaleb grinned at me. "Sorry I didn't meet you first.”


My Thoughts:
I have mixed feelings about this book. The idea for this book was very original and obviously well thought out as well as being captivating. There were a couple times in this book I felt like things were moving too fast. Don't get me wrong I hate slow moving books as much as the next guy, but it seemed like things were moving so fast it made some of the more complicated concepts confusing. And also the romance what kind of insta-love-y, which doesn't always bother me, but it did in this case. Other than that I really liked this book. It was filled with mystery, romance, and adventure, making for an exciting and captivating book.

6 comments:

  1. I thought this one was really original as well Sydney, but I agree things do move quickly. It didn't bother me as much in this one as in the later books when things with the time-space continuum get a bit more complex, but I had fun reading this one and I'm glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have heard the next book is quite confusing.

      Delete
  2. I've heard some mixed reviews on this one and I haven't decided whether or not I want to read it yet. I love a book filled with mystery though :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this series. It started my love of time travel novels. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. I'm not sure which was my favorite, book 1 or 2. :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.