Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: School Spirits

School Spirits
Rachel Hawkins

Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?

Rating: 4/5

Quotes:
“Damn it,Izzy, I told you, keeping a low profile is an essential part of every job."
"I was trying!"
"And breaking someone's arm by second period? That was your attempt at trying?”

“A startled giggle burst out of me. Paranormal Management Society. PMS. I hadn't even thought of it like that.”

“Can you get me home by nine?"
His grin widened. "Isolde, my friend, I can get you back by quarter 'til.”

My Thoughts:
    This was cute. The story line behind this book was really good. There is a ghost haunting Mary Evens High School and Izzy is sent in to take care of it. It is supposed to just be a mission, no strings attached, but alas strings get attached and friends are made.

    I liked Izzy as a main character and seeing her develop.She has never really done 'normal' so she has to grow a lot during the book, but even before that she is a strong and kick-ass. Adam was a jerk. I didn't like him one bit. But I did really like Dex, he was quirky and I loved his banter. Romy was also a favorite character. She is an 'outcast' at her school, but I didn't really see why. I mean besides the ghost-hunting bit, she was really cool.

    I read this book around midnight and I get scared really easily so that wasn't the best idea on my part. It wasn't actually that scary, and if I were reading it during the day I would have been fine.  It doesn't look like there will be a squeal any time soon, so I am satisfied with the way this wrapped up. If you liked the Hex Hall Series I would definitely recommend you try this one.

5 comments:

  1. I still need to read the Hex Hall Series! This book sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this as well :) Love the Hex Hall series and thought this was a great start to the spin off series! Awesome review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Hex Hall series, and I'll have to go out and pick this one up soon! Thank you for the awesome review!

    Lisa
    Sign up for the End of Summer Read-A-Thon!
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/2013/07/end-of-summer-read-thon-sign-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Hex Hall! I've been wanting to read this for a while now. I know I'll probably devour it in like a day! Haha

    Great review! And enjoyed the quotes! Thanks for shaing!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.