Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Teaser Tuesday #17: The Pledge

The Plegde
The Pledge #1
Kimberly Derting

In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.


1.“I loved voices, I always had. Words held meaning, but voices held emotion.”

2.“Nothing's going to happen to you," Max interrupted, gripping my shoulders and forcing me to look at him. "Because you're not going to do it. You're going to tell her to go to hell!” 

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.
Anyone can participate in Teaser Tuesdays. Just do the following:
• Grab your read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• Be careful not to include spoilers!
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and thought the sequel was pretty good :) Great teaser! I can't wait for book 3 :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the second book but I haven't read it yet. I am very excited to start it though!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should! I thought it was really great.

      Delete

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.